Monday, January 11, 2010

Making Silhouettes in Photos

I was reading my creative sis in laws blog (creativity runs through their blood:), and she had made silhouettes of her boys. It reminded me years ago when I taught school, I made silhouettes of all of my students and principal for a bulletin board. I got the lovely projector out and taped my black butcher paper on the wall and had each kid sit super still so I could trace their silhouettes. Not the most time efficient process.

As I was thinking about what my sis in law did to make her silhouettes, I thought, "There's gotta be an easier way than what I used to do." So I set out to see if I could do one with a photograph.

First, I took a picture in front of the door with the light coming in so I could get a backlit picture. Hey, now that I think about it, this is one of the few times I have deliberately wanted a blown out background.

Photobucket

Then, I cropped what I wanted and made the picture black and white.

I played around with the exposure and levels to get it to look like this:

Photobucket

Using Photoshop, I cleaned the picture up using the eraser tool and blur tool to soften the edges after I erased the unwanted background area.

Photobucket

Viola! Easy Peezy Lemon Squeezy! Now I can print it out and frame it or use it for whatever craft I want to.

Photobucket

1 comment: