Friday, January 29, 2010

Menu Board



Ever since my mother in law gave me a new cookbook with delicious recipes in it, I've been so excited trying new recipes. My family agrees that when I plan out meals, we eat better. I haven't done the math but I think you save money too!

I had this magnetic board that needed some personality to go with it. Once again, no before picture, but I promise to do better. Since, my new obession with green, I decided to use the leftover paint.

Does anyone else get stuck on a color so that when you are at the store looking for fabric or paint, you almost inevitably come out with something that has the same color in it, or in my case, green. Green isn't even my favorite color, it's just the color that I see everywhere now!

Ok, back to the menu board.

I painted it black and decided that it needed more excitement, so I used painter's tape and made stripes. I used some black paint to paint on the tape before I did another color. It seals it and makes a crisp line. I didn't do on the first ones because I wanted to do it FAST, but it pays to take the time. I can see a big difference.

Hey, but you can't! Yeah, I could have zoomed in on a picture for you to see my imperfections, but I'm going to let you think I did a perfect job!

On with the lettering. I wish I had a Hobby Lobby in Calfornia. All the things I hear people getting there just makes me jealous! I got these lettering at Jo Ann's. Modge Podged some scrapbook paper for the words "Menu" which just happen to be very close to the design of my curtains in the kitchen.

If you look closely, the "N" is actually a "U" and an "I". I was getting impatient with how long it was taking the store to restock. I gave them a long 3 days! I also bought lettering for the days of the week and once again they were out of stock of the "W", so I just used the "M". I just painted them.

Making the recipe tags, I first gathered all of my cookbooks together and typed up my favorites. I made tags for them, and used contact paper. Lamination is the best, but I'm anti-Kinkos and haven't found an alternative yet. I also put a magnetic strip on the back.

Be sure to include some like these:


Got a box from IKEA and filed them in:


Something that you might not know is that you can use a Vis a Vis marker to write a new recipe on

and use a wipe or cloth to erase it.

Dry erase marker may work, but I think vis a vis' are better. That way, when you are trying a new recipe you can just write it down and if it is a keeper than you can type it up later.


Another thing that I did is that I made a master list so I could see at a glance what I have. I also left blank spaces so I could add new ones that I discovered. I just put in the door of my cupboard.



My oldest loves this board because she doesn't have to ask me everyday what we are eating. It sure makes cooking more fun!

2 comments:

  1. That looks like the perfect system! I totally agree, we eat way better when I plan(not that it happens too often). It cuts out so much of the stress too! I think that's awesome that you created your own letters from different ones. I never would have guessed! Where do you find your Vis markers? I've never even heard of them. I would love to be able to do that so the recipes don't have to be permanent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Val! The weeks I plan a menu go WAY better than when I don't. Do you share your files you created? I'd love to see your master and your recipes!

    ReplyDelete