It feels so good to have given away so many of my teaching things. I feel lighter. My office looks cleaner. My husband is happier. I've made some teachers happy. Life is good.
It feels great to use the things that I have. I'm determined to use what I have decided to keep or give it away.
I love these beans! These are great manipulatives to use with number sense. How do you make them?
All you need are lima beans (I prefer the bigger ones) and some spray paint. Place the beans on one side on newspaper and spray away. It's important that you only spray one side.
There are several activities that you can do.
Today I'll share "Combinations of 4".
worksheet (which I have from 4-9, if you are interested, let me know)
1. Since we are doing combinations of 4, give your child 4 beans.
2. Have them shake them in your hand and drop them on the paper. Dropping them on the paper is a good guideline. Then, you don't have the kid who throws them across the room.
3. Have them color in how many colored side of the bean that they see.
4. You'll get repeats, but that is okay. You can say out loud, "2 blue beans plus 2 white beans equals 4 beans"
5. You can have the child write the addition problem, if they can.
This is a great activity to teach number combinations and the kids love playing with the beans. I don't know why but they do. Maybe it's because it's like playing with food?
I'll be sharing some other activities that you can do with the beans so stay tuned. . .