Monday, October 18, 2010

Making your own Tombstone

This is my husband's work, I'm just documenting it for him. He is so creative and artistic it makes you sick! He was so excited to finally have a yard to decorate for Halloween. He is making all of his decorations, so it has been very time consuming. I told him, we will just add a little on each year.

First thing Ben did was design his tombstones.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Measurements were key in the layout, as he wanted to utilize the entire sheet of installation.

Photobucket

After designing his tombstones, he bought a sheet of exterior installation. Using his layout, he cut out the shapes of the tombstones using a jigsaw.
Photobucket

Then, using his favorite tool, the exacto knife he cut out the wording and picture. He printed out the wording and picture and laid it on top of the foam. It was amazing how detailed his work was.

Photobucket

After all the words were cut out, he filled in the gaps and lines that he didn't want to show with Latex Wood Filler. On the installation, every 16 inches there is a slit to make it easier to cut.

Photobucket

He painted with this, for the base coat and then with his amazing artistic ability added more details.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Adding moss was a perfect idea.
Photobucket

You can kinda see his fence that he made in this picture. Don't you love the dead grass? We didn't water it all summer, just so we could create this scene! Just kidding. We are working on getting some grass. When we bought the house, we thought it had a sprinkler system only to find out later, that it didn't work. So right now, we are working on installing a new system. Uggh! It's alot of work!

Photobucket

I think he is either going to put black roses in the vases or some dead roses from our rose bush.

Photobucket

He's done such a great job! I can't wait to see it when it is all done!

7 comments:

  1. Holy Hannah! I mean, Holy Ben! That is awesome and quite creepy. I wish I had ben's artistic ability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben is crazy talented! That tombstone is incredible. You guys ooze talent. I can't wait to see your house all decked out for Halloween. I need to call you and plan some time that we can get together....and soon. I also liked the post before this--those trick or treat bags are adorable--I am making my children use their pillowcases. Oscar LOVED the picture of Xander in that Spiderman costume. When Oscar saw it he asked: "How did Xander get all of those muscles?" I miss that little guy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my WORD!! You are going to give kids actual nightmares:) I can't even believe how good that looks!! I mean, I should be believing by now after seeing his projects, but man, that's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower here!
    This tombstone is amazing!! So creative!!

    Angie
    http://create-it-fab.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks amazing! I have a question for you because I've wanted to make some tombstones out of the same material for a couple years {Thanks to good ole Martha Stewart} but am afraid that they will just blow away in the wind like all the foam ones I have purchased.

    I see it is mounted on a base. Is that wood? If so, how did he attach it and does it feel sturdy enough to survive a gusty, windy day?

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. Mine would be much simpler. I could never pull of something like what he did but I'd like to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is Ben - the husband. The base is the same foam. I poked 1/2 inch dowels through the base and into the tombstone. They go into the stone about 8 inches. The other end of the dowel goes into the ground, 8 -10 inches. The foam is snug around the dowels so it stays put. The vases are made of glass and add some weight as well, but it would remain solid even without them.

    ReplyDelete