Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Project 7

Today as I dropped my first grader off at school, an unexpected feeling swept through me. For a moment, I had a desire to be teaching in the classroom again. This is the fourth school year that I have not taught. I love being home with my kids and there is no other place I would rather be, but every now and then I miss aspects of teaching school. I think most importantly, I miss the kids. As a teacher, I felt like a super star. My little first graders depended on me. They were eager to learn and to please. They said the funniest things and worked hard.

I have so many good memories teaching children. I also have thought about my students over the years. A first grade teacher, whom I adore and admire told me that she would send a graduation card to her former students. I thought that was amazing! How would that make you feel, 12 years later, to receive a graduation card from your first grade teacher?

Well, next year, if you can believe it, my first class that I taught will be graduating highschool! I can't believe it myself. I have decided that each year for the next 7 years (that is how many years I taught), I will be locating my former students and congratulating them on their upcoming graduation. I call it Project 7.

Thanks to Facebook, it might turn out to be an easy job. I'm really excited for this and can't wait to see who I find. I'll keep you updated on who has been found.

Here are my first graders from my first year. Ready or not, here I come!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment