Thursday, April 7, 2011

Fabric Button Rings

This summer, I get to go to Girl's Camp! I am working in the Craft cabin and one of the crafts we will be doing are Fabric Button Rings. They are easy and so fun to make.

What you need:

Cover button kit (Comes with all of the instructions and tools that you need. Mine came in a pack of four from JoAnns.)
Adjustable ring band (Got mine at Michaels)
Photobucket

Your handy dandy pair of pliers
Photobucket

Scraps of fabric
Photobucket

Adhesive glue (E-6000, epoxy)

Got everything? Let's go!

Cut your fabric. I made myself a tracer to make it easier. If you use a half circle tracer, be sure to fold the fabric in half.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lay it flat and then flip it over.
Photobucket

Put the fabric inside the hollow white portion of the button kit. Remember to put it in upside down.
Photobucket

Take the front button piece and place it on top of the fabric.
Photobucket

Push the button piece, rounded side down, into the fabric.
Photobucket

The fabric will bunch up on the sides. Tuck the sides in.
Photobucket

Place the back button piece on top of the tucked fabric. Using the blue tool, push hard.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Wah la! You have made a button.
Photobucket

Turn it over and you will see the shank. Take the shank out using your handy dandy pliers.
*Let me tell you how hard it is to have both of your hands in the picture while you are taking it!
Photobucket

One or two tugs and there you go! A shankless button.
Photobucket

Glue the adjustable ring band onto the button using your choice of glue.
Photobucket

And there you have it! A fabric ring of your very own.
Photobucket

Don't get carried away now!
Photobucket

I took so many pictures of my hand with the rings on. No matter how many pictures I took, my hands still looked wrinkly and old. I guess my hopes and dreams of becoming a hand model is out of the question!


2 comments:

  1. You are THE perfect person for that job! The girls are going to have a blast with you and your crafts at Girls camp. I just wish it was at my Girls Camp. *sniff....sniff.* The rings are cute, I can't wait to see what other crafts you have in store for these girls. I love that last photo, despite your opinion of your hands. However, my dreams of becoming a hand model have been dashed as well, because I discovered that I not only have wrinkles on my hands but on the very tips of my fingers as well. I guess, better there than on my face. And, you should say the same! We look fabulously thirty-.....something. My days of young hands are gone, bring on the wrinkles!! :)

    ReplyDelete